Thursday, December 20, 2007

Espresso cookies get a revamp

Knowing that we were having a potluck at work today, dubbed as an annual "eat-a-thon," I decided to bake a batch of my espresso cookies yesterday.

I've always been a fan of thick chewy cookies - and the original recipe gives just that - but food fashionistas told me that what's vogue these days are thinner cookies that are crisp and craggy around the periphery but has a bite in the centre.

Wanting to please those who have their fingers on the pulse of all things hip and up and coming, I tweaked my cookies just a touch to make it more svelte and edgy:

To induce more spread, I used superfine sugar instead of plain granulated and increased the white chocolate to an even eight ounces. Having long switched to Dutched cocoa exclusively, I was taken aback that I wrote the recipe stipulating natural cocoa. Without adjusting the leaveners, I substituted Dutched cocoa. With less acid in the batter to react with baking soda there was less puff. The higher pH also resulted in a wonderfully dark cookie instead of last year's more ruddy shade of brown.

I wanted the espresso to be even more assertive so I increased the Medaglia D'Oro and brought the total to a whopping 2½ tablespoons. To balance the flavours, I doubled the salt to 1 teaspoon. Lastly, I used a #50 disher to scoop rounded doughs (which is probably a scant two tablespoons) and baked the cookies at 400°F for six minutes. They were very fragile and crisply set around the edges when fresh out of the oven and were perfect after an hour of cooling, with the slight centre dome falling flat.

My colleagues were very complimentary, and thin cookies are starting to grow on me.

Notes:
Here is the ingredient list re-written:

2 c all-purpose flour
½ c Dutched cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp vanilla extract
2½ tb Medaglia D’Oro instant espresso powder
2 large eggs, room temperature
¾ c superfine sugar
¾ c packed light brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
8 oz Callebaut white chocolate, chopped into ¼ - ½ inch chunks

Directions can be found in this post.

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What gorgeous looking cookies! I'd love to eat one with my tea...

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Rosa

glamah16 said...

Food Fshionistas?! Love it. Any way thick or thin sounds good to me. Im waiting for your yule log.Happy Hoildays.